Monday, July 16, 2007

Walk / No-Walk

I just spend the better part of an hour tinkering with the camp pictured in my previous post. Huge swathes of tiles were baking as unwalkable, despite the fact that everything was an environmental object with walkmesh triggers. I came to the conclusion that there were simply too many of these so I had to slowly remove one object at a time, bake, and see if the tile became walkable. A frustratingly slow process. The area is fine now, it was just a pain.

I've made extensive use of the walk and no-walk tools in this area. I like what I've done but it worries me a bit. Video games like NWN2 so frequently use illogical terrain as a barrier. Like a bush or a shallow stream. For the most part I am also guilty, though I would never have a bush impede you! Rough slopes and water will for the most part obstruct you. I try to be consistent with what blocks your path and what doesn't, but I'm afraid I may have broken the rule with this area. You see, there are a few "secret" approaches to the enemy base that you can utilize. Basically, these approaches are areas of terrain that, in any other area of the mod, may be unwalkable but are walkable here. I will have to test this area thoroughly to determine if anyone notices these paths or even realizes they are capable of using them.

-Inder

No comments: